Prophet ’08 Overview
With real analog oscillators, famed Curtis low-pass filters, and analog VCAs, the Prophet ’08 is capable of reproducing the familiar sounds of its legendary predecessors. But modern features like a greatly expanded modulation matrix and additional modulation sources—such as three envelopes and four LFOs per voice—take it way beyond vintage gear and make it a worthy and unique addition to the Prophet family tree.
Features include a gated 16 x 4 step sequencer, arpeggiator, split or stacked key modes with separate stereo outputs per layer, and rack ears for optional rack-mounting. The Prophet ’08 module can also be used as an expander to increase the polyphony of another Prophet ’08—keyboard or module—to 16 voices.
The Prophet ’08 PE (potentiometer edition) has all the features of the standard Prophet ’08, but many of the front panel’s rotary controls use potentiometers (AKA “pots”) for more “vintage-style” control. (The standard Prophet ’08 primarily uses rotary encoders.)
- Full-featured polysynth with a 100% analog signal path.
- Classic, real analog sound—including legendary Curtis analog low-pass filters—married to a modern feature set.
- Compact size, huge sound.
- Tons of knobs for direct, real-time editing and performance.
Prophet ’08 Specifications
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- White noise generator
- Analog VCAs
- Hard sync
- 1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode).
- 3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- 16 x 4 gated step sequencer
- 4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO
- 4 x 2 modulation matrix with 20 mod sources and 43 mod destinations
- Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes.
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- 5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch.
- 52 knobs and 20 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel
- 256 fully editable Programs (2 banks of 128) with 2 Layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program.
- MIDI In, Out, Thru, and Poly Chain
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
- Includes power supply for 110V – 240V AC operation (13-15 VDC, 600 mA) and operation manual.
- Oiled mahogany wood end panels
- Dimensions: 12.1″ (30.73 cm) W x 34.8″ (88.39 cm) L x 3.875″ (9.84 cm) H (2.25″ at front edge; the feet account for 0.25″ of the total height)
- Weight: ~22 lbs. (9.98 kg)